Subsistence
A saying that I have heard often is, "People fear what they don't understand."
I have found this to be true. I was watching television a while ago and saw a commercial for the Humane Society. The person talking said something to the effect, "I give to the Humane Society to stop the brutal whale hunting off the coast of Canada."
Okay. Stop right there. I am not native of Canada or Alaska, but I was incredibly offended. This is why:
The native people who live in these remote places rely on subsistence living. They don't get fresh fruit and vegetables on a regular basis. They don't always have eggs, milk, or frozen meat. They have small stores, sometimes smaller than a gas station convenience store. These stores only get food to sell when airplanes fly. All food has to be flown in to these small communities. When food is flown in, it is so expensive that many people cannot afford it.
Yes, many of these people live far below the poverty level. The only jobs in some of these villages are working at the school (if there is one), working for the local village, or for the Native Corporation. In the community where I am living that leaves about 50% of the adults unemployed. The only way everyone is going to have enough food to live on is if they go hunting.
You may not eat beluga or bowhead whale, but these people eat and use every part of it. One bowhead can feed a village of 300 for many months. Seal, walrus, moose, caribou, bear, fox, wolves, duck, geese, and cranes are among the animals that are hunted. It is essential that the native people living in these remote places be allowed to hunt.
Do not berate them for doing something that is necessary to sustain life. They do not go out looking to kill for sport. They go out to find food for their family and their village. If you haven't lived in a place to see the importance of it, then you also shouldn't be berating anyone for doing something that you know nothing about.
Recently, a 15 year old hunted and killed his first beluga whale. This whale will feed his community, who have lived on a small, remote island, for a long time. People who claim to be for animal rights bullied him so much that his Facebook page had to be deleted. What right does anyone have to bully someone for doing something that his native ancestors have done forever, and which feeds hungry people? Again, if you don't understand it, you should find out what the facts are before making and passing judgment.
I am proud to live among these native Alaskans. They work harder than anyone I have ever met. Everything they do to survive is difficult. I salute them for their hard work, sacrifice, and desire to take care of each other.
I have found this to be true. I was watching television a while ago and saw a commercial for the Humane Society. The person talking said something to the effect, "I give to the Humane Society to stop the brutal whale hunting off the coast of Canada."
Okay. Stop right there. I am not native of Canada or Alaska, but I was incredibly offended. This is why:
The native people who live in these remote places rely on subsistence living. They don't get fresh fruit and vegetables on a regular basis. They don't always have eggs, milk, or frozen meat. They have small stores, sometimes smaller than a gas station convenience store. These stores only get food to sell when airplanes fly. All food has to be flown in to these small communities. When food is flown in, it is so expensive that many people cannot afford it.
Yes, many of these people live far below the poverty level. The only jobs in some of these villages are working at the school (if there is one), working for the local village, or for the Native Corporation. In the community where I am living that leaves about 50% of the adults unemployed. The only way everyone is going to have enough food to live on is if they go hunting.
You may not eat beluga or bowhead whale, but these people eat and use every part of it. One bowhead can feed a village of 300 for many months. Seal, walrus, moose, caribou, bear, fox, wolves, duck, geese, and cranes are among the animals that are hunted. It is essential that the native people living in these remote places be allowed to hunt.
Do not berate them for doing something that is necessary to sustain life. They do not go out looking to kill for sport. They go out to find food for their family and their village. If you haven't lived in a place to see the importance of it, then you also shouldn't be berating anyone for doing something that you know nothing about.
Recently, a 15 year old hunted and killed his first beluga whale. This whale will feed his community, who have lived on a small, remote island, for a long time. People who claim to be for animal rights bullied him so much that his Facebook page had to be deleted. What right does anyone have to bully someone for doing something that his native ancestors have done forever, and which feeds hungry people? Again, if you don't understand it, you should find out what the facts are before making and passing judgment.
I am proud to live among these native Alaskans. They work harder than anyone I have ever met. Everything they do to survive is difficult. I salute them for their hard work, sacrifice, and desire to take care of each other.
Comments
Post a Comment